About me, the pedant
Crimes of illiteracy
Crimes of innumeracy
New York City solecisms
Writing for the Internet
This resume is also available as a PDF file (54K).
- Web design: To organize and maintain the content and navigation of Web sites, ensuring that they are attractive, accurate, and
- Communications: To create on-line and printed communications pieces that have a consistent appearance and
- Programming: To broaden my knowledge of programming languages such as Visual Basic, SQL, and Internet scripting languages in order to create user applications and interactive Web sites.
- Web design: Five years creating and maintaining Web sites, ensuring intuitive navigation, easy content management, accuracy of information, and consistency of
- Communications: Five years creating literature for print and PDF output; five years of writing and proofreading brochures, Web content, legal documents, and other
- Interactive forms: Four years creating interactive Microsoft Word forms using Visual Basic for
- Programming: Knowledge of HTML, Visual Basic for Applications, and some
1996-2002: Communications Coordinator for Human Resources at Zurich Scudder
Web-site creation and maintenance
- Designed the layout, navigation, functionality, and content management of HR
On-line, Human Resources' intranet site.
- Worked with implementation-team members to determine the site's content and appearance.
Maintained the content and look of the site, responding to user feedback from other departments and ensuring that the site
complied with the firm's branding standards. With 10,000 page views per week, HR
On-line was the company's third-most-visited intranet site.
- Served on the team that designed the content and appearance of the firm's Internet job-posting site, which
included daily updated job listings and an on-line resume form. With a coworker, maintained the site's
Design of literature for print and PDF output
- Designed the appearance of For Your Benefit, a Human Resources-published newsletter that
provided periodic updates on benefits to employees firm-wide. Designed the appearance of on-line PDF brochures, ensuring that they can be easily
- Worked with other Human Resources personnel to determine whether literature should be printed or available on-line. For printed literature, worked with vendors to manage the printing
- Ensured that all literature conformed to the firm's branding standards. Used QuarkXPress, Microsoft Word, and Adobe Acrobat as necessary to create
Composition of documents
- Wrote policies, newsletters, brochures, and legally required summary benefit-plan
- Wrote one-off messages sent to the organization via e-mail.
Creation of interactive forms
- Using Visual Basic for Applications and Microsoft Word, created 34 interactive forms that
guided users through completion, responding to the information that they
entered. Designed a process for easily updating the forms with department lists and job titles from the firm's database.
1997-present: Freelance editor and proofreader for publishing companies and other organizations
- Edited and proofread the first two children's books published by Atori
- Edited and proofread marketing materials for Dingles & Company (a publisher of children's books), Circle T Partners (an investment-management firm), CAC Industries (a manufacturer of children's toys), and several other companies.
B.A. with honors in music, Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass., 1996.